The Sportz Assassin recently dropped a list of stupid team names based on the ridiculous "cities" they're supposed to represent. For once the Warriors actually ranked high on a greatest hits list. Coming at you with the #2 stupidest name:
This one makes no sense. Why not the "Oakland Warriors"?? Why "Golden State"?? I know it's the state nickname...but you are one of FOUR NBA teams in the state. And you suck....even with the Clippers and Kings there. And if any NBA team would claim to be the state's team....it would be the Lakers. Also, I was for the Raiders being named this so they could split games in Oakland and Los Angeles.
To address some of the Sportz Assassin's points:
- Yes, the Warriors are one of four NBA teams in Cali, but they have the best fans and the best hoops blog (ahem, GSoM!). That alone counts for enough to represent the entire Wessyde!
- Yes, the Warriors do suck. Guilty as charged.
- The Fakers as the state's team? No way. That squad is for casual hoops fans who show up near the end of halftime and think Devean George is the next Shawn Marion.(I'm not kidding a few Laker fans actually tried to convince Fantasy Junkie and I that during the Lakers' championship run in the earlier part of this century. Thank god we don't live in SoCal anymore!)
- The Raiders splitting games between Oak-town and LA? Sorry, the Black Hole belongs in the Oakland Coliseum.
Being a super-educated Warrior community, we all know from Glenn Dickey's Q&A some of the history about why the Warriors are called Golden State.
There's no question that Golden State is a bizzare city name for the Warriors. It makes as much sense as passing up on Jordan and Pippen 2.0. Still, we like to think of Golden State not as a place, but rather a State of Mind...
Make sure to vote in the poll in the comments section for which name you prefer for the Warriors:
- Golden State Warriors?
- Oakland Warriors?
- Bay Area Warriors?
- Bay Area Warriors of Oakland? (If the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim can do it, so can we!)
For some more Warrior logo fun check out: