We looked at the winners and losers of the blockbuster Warriors-Pacers trade and even started the basketball obituaries, but now let's hear what the man himself, Warriors Head Coach Don Nelson had to say about the trade. Nellie's interview on KNBR 680 soon after the trade with Bob Fitzgerald (see our recent Q&A with Bob- Part I | Part II) and Rod Brooks is archived for you listening pleasure.
Some of his thoughts:
- His son Donnie Nelson is a big fan of Sarunas Jasikevicius.
- The trade is good for the Warriors' cap relief and future.
- Al Harrington and Stephen Jackson are natural players and will step into his game plan quickly.
- He's not sure who's going to start yet.
- Nellie feels better about now and the future.
- Harrington and Jackson are tough, athletic, and good defenders.
- This interview is more important than talking to Mike Dunleavy about the trade.
- The team is where they wanted to be at the beginning of the season.
- This trade makes the Warriors better and more athletic.
- Baron Davis is his new best friend and is a nice guy. Nellie really enjoys coaching him and BD's been misread by many.
On a scale of 1 to 10 (where 1 is completely unhappy and 10 is happy like a fat kid with fat slice of chocolate cake) how happy do you think Nellie is with the trade?