A few weeks back my man Fantasy Junkie gave you a photo-tacular recap of our celebration for reaching our season ticket goal. Well the fun don't stop! It's time for the first ever official GSoM Warriors ticket giveaway. We've got two tickets to this Wednesday's game between your Golden State Warriors (HOLLA!) and the Detroit Pistons (Boo! Boo! Boo!) in section 218 Row 1 (center court!) to hand out.
At GSoM not only do we preach hoops and blogging excellence, but we also preach academic excellence. So to kick this event off we're giving a you the most enjoyable math pop quiz you've ever had in your life with the winner getting the pair of tickets. It's our version of the NBA All-Star Stay in School Jam!
Here's today's GSoM pop quiz. A friendly reminder to please keep your eyes on your own computer screens and no chatting with your neighbors while this 10 part quiz is in session.
- Find out the number of points the Warriors scored in the game that finally ended the decade plus Warriors playoff drought last season
- Combine the number of points and rebounds Jason Richardson had that historic night
- Take the square root of (your answer from part 1 minus the number from part 2)
- Multiply it by Tom Tolbert's Warriors jersey number during the 1989-1990 NBA season
- Divide your result from part 4 by how many times the Warriors have made the playoffs this decade
- Subtract this result by the number of years hoops legend Al Attles coached the Warriors
- Raise the result from part 6 to the nth power where n is the number of retired jerseys hanging in the rafters at the Oracle Arena
- Add the number of that fine July summer day that GSoM YouTube Tuesdays first started to your answer from part 7
- Round your answer from part 8 to 2 decimal places
- Ask a GSoM waterboy for a towel and some Gatorade to cool off- whew! If you completed parts 1-9 of this pop quiz you deserved it!
The first GSoMer to post the correct answer in the comments wins 2 tickets to this Wednesday's Warriors game against the Detroit Pistons in Oakland at the Oracle Arena. Break out your pencils, scratch paper, calculators (unless you amazingly can do this all in your head), and get your typing fingers ready for some serious Googling! Make sure to show your work from parts 1 through 10 in your answer too. Unfortunately no partial credit is granted.
The GSoM All-Star Stay in School Jam is UNSTOPPABLE BABY!
Update: Big ups to BobbyLeeHurt for being the first GSoMer to answer correctly and show their work! BobbyLeeHurt is unstoppably smart and has made history by being the first winner of a GSoM Pop Quiz. Email us at email@example.com and we'll hook you up with the tix. Have a great time out at Wednesday's game! It's on your boys at GSoM.
Tony.psd does photography too!
For a fun recap of the answers make the jump!
1. Find out the number of points the Warriors scored in the game that finally ended the decade plus Warriors playoff drought last season
Answer: The Warriors dropped 120 points on that historic night that I'll never forget. Haha, I actually started writing that recap of thank you's celebrating the end of the drought during halftime of that game and kept going all throughout the second half. Ain't nuthin' like ubiquitous computing. Man if they lost that game... but they didn't! Flip back to that excited, but nervous preview and joyous recap.
2. Combine the number of points and rebounds Jason Richardson had that historic night
Answer: JRich dropped 25 points that night to go with his 8 rebounds [see Final Boxscore]
25 + 8 = 33
3. Take the square root of (your answer from part 1 minus the number from part 2)
Answer: sqrt(120-33) = 9.327379053088816
4. Multiply it by Tom Tolbert's Warriors jersey number during the 1989-1990 NBA season
Answer: During the 1989-1990 season Tom Tolbert of the The Razor & Mr. T fame donned #3 for the Warriors.
He later sported #34 for the Dubs.
9.327379053088816 x 3 = 27.982137159266448
5. Divide by how many times the Warriors have made the playoffs this decade
Answer: Hopefully it didn't take you that long to figure this one out.
27.982137159266448 / 1 = 27.982137159266448
6. Subtract this result by the number of years hoops legend Al Attles coached the Warriors
Answer: Passing the mic to Wikipedia:
27.982137159266448 - 14= 13.982137159266448
7. Raise to the nth power where n is the number of retired jerseys hanging in the rafters at the Oracle Arena
Answer: As we say in the Bay- I Got 5 On It (see 2007-2008 Golden State Warriors Media Guide):
- # 14 Tom Meschery, F, 1961-71 (including 1961-62 in Philadelphia)
- #16 Alvin Attles, G, 1960-71 (including 1960-62 in Philadelphia); Head Coach, 1970-83; also team executive
- #42 Nate Thurmond, C, 1963-74
- #24 Rick Barry, F, 1965-67 & 1972-78
- #13 Wilt Chamberlain, C, 1959-65 (including 1959-62 in Philadelphia)
(13.982137159266448)5 = 534401.64997242376
8. Add the number of that fine July summer day that GSoM YouTube Tuesdays first started
Answer: GSoM's super hype YouTube Tuesday segment began on July 10, 2007 with a clip of the 9th best looking Warriors fan Jessica Alba and a special guest appearance by Biz Markie.
534401.64997242376 + 10 = 534411.64997242376
9. Round your answer to 2 decimal places
Answer: 534401.64997242376 ~534411.65
10. Ask a GSoM waterboy for a towel and some Gatorade to cool off- whew!
Or maybe Thunder will pour out a little Gatorade for you!
Thanks to all of you who participated. I hope you had as much fun playing as I had putting this together. We're planning on doing a bunch more GSoM ticket giveaways this season, so you if you missed out on this one don't even trip. We've got lots more in store for you. Also, if you have other contest ideas for the ticket giveaways just post them in the comments.