Wow so I know it's not good at all to rely on hoping that your competition loses, but I tried something different this morning.
I decided to analyze the strength of everyone's schedule in the next 5 games, (how good their opponent is, home court advantage, how they match up) and do a Las Vegas pick in each game to guess where everyone will be leading into early March (2nd-4th).
Here is where each team currently stands along with what it looks like each team should win in the next 5 games:
7. Denver 1-4 (L Utah, L at Dallas, W at Memphis, L Orlando, L Houston)
8. Golden State* 3-2 (L at Clipps, W Lakers, W Milwaukee, L at Chicago, W at NY)
9. New Orleans 2-3 (W Seattle, L at Cleveland, W Atlanta, L at Chicago, L Utah)
10. Minnesota 1-4 (L Phoenix, L Washington, L Dallas, L Utah, W at Boston)
11. Sacramento 3-2 (W at New Jersey, L at Indiana, W at Philadelphia, W Charlotte, L at Lakers)
New records/standings after 5 games:
- Golden State! (29-31)
- Denver (27-30)
- New Orleans (28-32)
- Sacramento (26-32)
- Minnesota (26-33)
Explanation: All these teams have tough tough schedules coming up. As good as Denvers roster is, they aren't clicking and are playing really really tough teams consecutively.
I didn't want to jinx anything, but looking a few games ahead, it looks like we still have a great chance and need to start focusing on NOW rather than some stupid TANK theories!!!
*Even if the Warriors go just 2-3, they would still be in playoff position at 8th. I would rather have Dallas anyways, but a buffer would be good.