Kinda off-topic but I was thinkin about this the other day and wanted my fellow GSOMers to add their fashion trends past and present. I'll start it off...
1. Afros: Dr. J's fro was classic!
2. High socks: not sure who started this but this trend started back in the 60s(with the cheesy stripes) and still lives on now with many players.
3. headbands: the timeless fashion trend
4. long shorts: MJ has been proclaimed as the first NBA player to sport the long shorts. Now its ridiculous how low some of these current players wear their shorts nowadays!
5. goggles: Kareem made wearing goggles cool. Look at what it did for Rambis!
6. compressed spandex shorts: I think the guys back in the 80s before the long shorts became a standard wore these under their short shorts to get more "support". hehe
7. knee/elbow pads: Hakeem and Kevin Willis wore them proud!
8. wrist band on the forearm or bicep: seems like another trend MJ started and died off in the late 90s when he retired
9. rubber bands: seems like players started wearing them on their wrist to show they were ballers. I guess when the NBA banned jewelry, players started sporting rubber bands on their wrists.
10. tats: they have always been adorned by NBA pros but it seems that A.I. sparked an "ink movement" as another avenue of self-expression since its one of the hew sports where players show a lot of skin. Seems like half the league is tatted up nowadays.
11. elbow sleeve: it seems like A.I. started this trend too. I don't remember anyone else who sported the sleeve before him. Now you got dudes like Kobe and Melo wearing them.
12. Braids: another A.I. brainchild
13. TIghts: I thought this was pretty ghey and I'm glad the NBA banned them!
14. Underarmour: D-Wade seems to have made this popular. I see a lot of players wearing protective upper body and hip/ass padding to cushion their fall.
Aight...that's all I can think of. Please add anything else I forgot and speak on the ones I did mention. I wonder what fashion trend will be next?