Originally posted Nov 28, 2009 1:15 AM PST
This game could get HILARIOUS fast.
Tip off: 7:30pm
Radio: KNBR 680
TV: CSN Bay Area
Blog Buddy: Silver Screen and Roll
SB Nation: Lakers vs Warriors coverage
Warriors Web: Black Friday practice links
Around the Association: Big Brother, Little Brother
According to my calculations we're about 17.07% of the way through the 2009-2010 Golden State Warriors campaign. Some reflection on this artificial marker of the season that I just made up and thoughts on the tonight's matchup after the... JUMP!
Dubs Introspection at the 17.07% Point of the Season
- Sure there's some turnovers that make you shake your head, but rookie Stephen Curry can pass the rock. My crystal ball says Stef-fun will be droppin' dimes in the league for years to come.
- It's too bad the Warriors didn't ship out the artist formerly known as Captain Jack, now known as "Captain" Jack earlier. This isn't to say that everything is golden. but there's a certain tension and dysfunction from this team that have been lifted. We're back to playing basketball... as long as Monta Ellis doesn't throw another tantrum.
- Speaking of Ellis, the past few games he's been attacking the basket like it was 2007-2008. That's refreshing to see. His court vision and hoops IQ is still very suspect, but props to him. Maybe it's too early to really tell, but his lift looks like it's back.
- Where are all those folks who were screaming "The Warriors shouldn't trade Andris Biedrins and Brandan Wright for the injury prone Amare Stoudemire!" this past offseason? Guess what folks? Amare hasn't missed a game this season. Wright is out for the season and it's hard not to be skeptical of his chances of being much more than a bench player in this league if he can even stay healthy. Biedrins has been absolutely awful in the 4 games he's played this season and is out indefinitely. Who in their right mind wouldn't trade these two for Amare right now? Dumb (trading Jason Richardson and breaking up WE BELIEVE for Wright and saving Cohan some green) and Dumber (not willing to trade Wright and Biedrins for Amare).
- Anthony Randolph has been the biggest disappointment of the season thus far. For the most part he looks utterly lost on the court. His finishing ability near the bucket right now is some of the worst I've seen for a Warriors big in the past decade- and that's really saying something. His fundamentals (something as simple as squaring up to the basket) are just completely missing. He must lead the league "what is he thinking?'s" per 36. I think he'll get there, but the national and local media (most of whom don't actually watch him play) constantly irrationally hyping him up as if he's already arrived and is entitled to major playing time aren't helping out the situation.
- The Nellie bashing from national media types who haven't watched a Warriors game the past 2 seasons is annoying. The Nellie bashing from local media types who haven't watched the many Warriors games or have a bizarre vendetta against the future hall of famer is annoying. The Nellie bashing from mostly uneducated and bandwagon fans is annoying. It's shocking how many low-blow articles were pumped out when the poor guy was down with pneumonia and head coach-sub Keith Smart beat the Mavericks (um, like Nellie hasn't had any success doing that) using Nelson's game plan. Not classy at all. Also see Chris Webber and Kevin McHale Talk Don Nelson and Golden State Warriors on NBA TV + RUMOR: Golden State Warriors Head Coach Don Nelson on his way out
- This is simply not a good basketball team. Larry Riley please make some trades. Sell high on Monta Ellis and Randolph if that's what it takes to bring on a legitimate 2-way star. There should be some takers for Biedrins and Ronny Turiaf as well. All those expiring contracts will make the numbers add up.
Ebok... Ebok... Ebok...
The Lakers are in town and that means the reigning NBA Finals MVP will be in town. Say what you want about Ebok, but this guy works extremely hard and is supremely gifted. Putting aside Eagle Rock, how can you not respect game?
Let me direct you to these must-read insights from the good folks at Silver Screen and Roll on his Kobe-ness:
- Pay the Critics No Mind: Kobe Bryant Has Been "Amazing"
- Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, and the Internet
- Why do advanced statistics hate Kobe Bryant? Part 1
- Why do advanced statistics hate Kobe Bryant? Part 2
I've met by fair share of dumb Laker fans over the years, but these cats are refreshingly sharp. Keeping rolling off those screens fellas.
A Look at the Pac Sun
- Monta Ellis abuses the spectacularly overrated and low hoops IQ Derek Fisher. Fish flops in Oakland though and picks up a few cheap charges from unsuspecting refs. Tonight it's not "REF U SUCK!", it's "REF FISH FLOPPED!"
- Shannon Brown throws down another sick jam like this one that makes Mikki Moore scream "MIKEY!" again.
- Stef-fun tosses some highlight dimes and collects 8+ assists.
- Ron Artest goes into the stands to beat up a few of the annoying Laker fans acting a fool at the Roaracle tonight.
- Lamar Odom schools Anthony Randolph and afterwards says something ridiculous like "Randolph will be a top 50 NBA player" again just to tease delusional Warriors fans.
- Andrew Bynum posts 20 points and 10 boards.
- Anthony Morrow drains at least 4 treys.
- Pau Gasol inhales 12+ rodmans.
- Adam Morrison gets some playing time.
- Warriors by 1... fool, cause it's Saturday!
More about the LA Lakers
Los Angeles Lakers News
- Recap: LA Lakers vs. New York
(Sports Network) 2 days ago.
- New York Knicks (3-10) at Los Angeles Lakers (10-3), 10:30 p.m.
(Sports Network) 3 days ago.
- LeBron, Kobe earn NBA weekly honors
(Sports Network) 3 days ago.
- Recap: LA Lakers vs. Oklahoma City
(Sports Network) 4 days ago.
- Oklahoma City Thunder (7-6) at Los Angeles Lakers (9-3), 9:30 p.m.
(Sports Network) 5 days ago.
- Recap: LA Lakers vs. Chicago
(Sports Network) 7 days ago.
- Chicago Bulls (6-4) at Los Angeles Lakers (8-3), 10:30 p.m.
(Sports Network) 8 days ago.
- Recap: LA Lakers vs. Detroit
(Sports Network) 9 days ago.
- Detroit Pistons (5-5) at Los Angeles Lakers (7-3), 10:30 p.m.
(Sports Network) 10 days ago.
- Lakers F Walton out six weeks with pinched nerve
(Sports Network) 10 days ago.