UPDATE (6:01pm): The first guy in the Warriors (malpractice) operation that any half intelligent new owner would fire first thing is downplaying everyone's fun- Warriors' Exec Downplays Ellison Talk of Buying Team [CSN Bay Area]
UPDATE (3:54pm): GSoM buddy Tim Kawakami has tons of more info in Ellison confirms he's trying to buy the Warriors (Cohan confirms he's still a ghost)
Mr. Ellison put the Oracle in the Arena at Oakland.
Dubs Nation put the Roaracle in the Oracle Arena.
This is going to work out just fine folks.
The 411 and some retro linkage after the jump!
From MarketWatch (The Wall Street Journal):
At a public event held at Oracle's (ORCL 23.87, +0.01, +0.04%) Redwood Shores, Calif., headquarters, Ellison responded to a plea from an audience member that he buy the Warriors by responding: "I'm trying, I'm trying."
Keep trying Mr. Ellison. We're rooting for you!
"Unfortunately, you can't have a hostile takeover of a basketball team," Ellison quipped.
That's probably true, but let me remind everybody that Chris Cohan did not exactly assume majority ownership of the Warriors in the friendliest manner- see SPECIAL REPORT / The man who owns the Warriors / Cohan's rocky reign / An era marked by lost games lost fans and endless litigation [SF Gate]
There's quite a legacy of this topic and GSoM and rather than rehashing old sentiments and analysis, I'll just direct you to the archives:
- RUMOR: Chris Cohan IS INDEED interested in selling Warriors and was in negotiations with Larry Ellison
- Q&A: Marcus Thompson - Contra Costa Times / InsideBayArea.com (Part 2 of 3)- Don Nelson's media downfall, Chris Mullin as a front office hire, Chris Cohan's closeness to selling the Golden State Warriors
- SPECIAL REPORT: The man who owns the Warriors. Cohan's rocky reign. An era marked by lost games, lost fans and endless litigation [SFGate]
- RUMOR: Warriors owner Chris Cohan "highly likely" to sell
- Polling GSoM: Are you really that surprised that PR director Raymond Ridder and the Golden State Warriors got caught "astroturfing"? (5/23/09)
At the Press Conference: Write "Sell the Warriors" (8/29/06)
Missing Signatures (4/19/06)
Rise to the Occasion (3/17/06)
2005-2006 REPORT CARD: Chris Cohan and Robert Rowell (8/23/09)
BREAKING NEWS: Ice Cube Purchases the Warriors (4/1/06)
We Want Larry! (7/25/09)
San Jose SuperSonics in 2k8 (7/18/06)
NBA Draft 2006: Chris Cohan is happy the draft isn't in the Bay (6/28/07)
The Dirty Dozen - Part 1 of 3 (9/11/06)
IRS Stressing Warrior Owner Chris Cohan (5/19/09)
NBA Payroll Playpen and Cohanomics (11/30/07)
- RUMOR: Chris Cohan and Robert Rowell said no to Kevin Garnett because of additional salary and the luxury tax (5/16/09)
Do you want Mr. Ellison to take over the Golden Warriors from Chris Cohan aka the worst owner in all of sports in the most hostile way possible?
YES: Warriors fans are some of the nicest folks you'll meet, but it's time for some hostility (791 votes)
NO: My name is Chris Cohan or Robert Rowell and I read Golden State of Mind (25 votes)
816 total votes