Warriors Basketball!! New recipe, now with rebounding!!
Well, this might be news to us Warriors fans, but apparently you don't need to shoot well to win games. Weird, right? It's still only the preseason, so please add the generic "preseason is meaningless, don't get your hopes up" disclaimer to any conclusions we try to draw from Sunday's game against the Kings, but for the first time in a long time the Warriors won a game with Defense and Rebounding. Will this be a trend, or a fluke? Let's discuss. Plus a look ahead to the rematch after the jump.
Defense and Rebounding
Rebounders rebound, and guess what? We've got some rebounders. With Andris Biedrins, David Lee, and Dorell Wright as our starting frontcourt, we should have our best rebounding squad that I've seen as Warriors fan. Then go ahead and toss in Amundson off the bench and the only thing that could make us even better is if we found a strong rebounding back-up PF, at least until Udoh gets healthy...
Wait a minute! Who is this Jeff Adrien guy? Well, whoever he is he pulled down 15 rebounds in only 22 minutes (not to mention scoring 11 points on six shots). I'm not sure what Larry Riley and Coach Smart's plans for the end of the bench are, but it sure would be nice to have another rebounding big man around this season. We could actually have some frontcourt depth for a change. Let's see how he responds if he gets another chance to prove he belongs in the league.
So taking a quick look at rebounding you'd think it could be a strength, or at least a bit above average, which would be a welcome change compared to the dismal rebounding teams we've had the last few years. Defense is still an open question for me though. The backcourt, while undersized, has at least been putting the right kind of effort in that you'd hope for, but that's something to keep an eye on when the games actually matter. Dorell Wright has looked good, and seems to have all the tools to be our best perimeter defender this year. I'm still not sure how the bigs will do, but I'm not holding any great expectations for them on the defensive end. Thoughts? Let me know in the comments.
Thing to look out for during the game:
- Can Stephen Curry find a groove and get his Ast:Tov in order?
- Will the Warrior bigs keep DeMarcus Cousins in check again after holding him to 39%fg last game?
- How will Tyreke Evans respond to his poor performance last time out? (9pts on 40%fg with 3ast 5tov 0reb 0stl)
- Can Adrien earn that last roster spot?
- Will Coach Smart get a good look at the bench tonight in the teams first away game?
Enjoy the game!
Also, don't forget about...
GSoM Night 9
Opening Night! - Wednesday, October 27, 2010 @ 7:30p vs Houston Rockets
Tickets (Purchase Tickets Online, password: GSOM)
- Club 200 Sideline: $30 each (regular $36)
- Club 200 Corner/Baseline: $25 each (regular $30)
For Every Ticket Purchased
- Tickets to opening night vs the Rockets
- Free Tony.psd t-shirt
- Participate in the post-game on-court free throw contest
- For groups of 10+, sit courtside for shootaround from 6-6:30