Ooof. That was a big punch in the stomach. There were no treats for the Warriors tonight at the Staples Center on this Halloween night. After the high of Friday night's blowout victory over the other LA team, this loss is a big backhanded slap of reality to the face. Without Curry, I didn't expect the Warriors to win, but I thought they'd at least be competitive. Down 20 after the first quarter, the Warriors never really got back into the game.
But hey, the Giants won game 4 of the World Series and are just one win away from a championship. When was the last time the Giants, Raiders and Niners won a game on the same day?
This game was dominated from tip off to the final buzzer by the defending champs. Some quick observations and thoughts after the jump.
- Repeat this with me: Monta Ellis cannot play point guard. We figured that out awhile ago, but tonight was a big reason why we need Curry in there handling the ball. Monta is great off the ball, but as the primary distributor he's not so great. He had a nice game despite the team worst -33 +/-. He didn't have a bad game - he still finished with 20 points on 9-20 shooting. It's just the flow the of team is better when Steph has the ball. He was the best option for tonight, but I really hope Steph isn't out for too long.
- Where was the real David Lee? Some random dude had an amazing David Lee Halloween costume. He looked just like him. But sadly, the random dude couldn't play just like David Lee. 19 minutes, 0 points, 3 rebounds, 5 turnovers. The real David Lee must have been trick or treating somewhere in LA. At least he'll be back against Memphis.
Andris Biedrins did okay tonight. Nice little all-around game though I expect more from him. 6 points, 8 boards, and a nice little 4 assist night. Honestly, I don't care much about the assists but I'll take'em.
- As far as the Lakers frontline, all you need to know is this: Lamar Odom (16 pts, 14 rebs) and Pau Gasol (26 pts, 12 rebs) are pretty scary. They should just trade Bynum for a guy who will actually play and not be injured all the time. Sucker some GM into his talent and get a useful player back.
- I continue to really like Dorell Wright. He hustles and plays solid D. Tonight he did well to get his 18 points and had a few nice plays.
- The free throw shooting disparities between the Warriors and their opponents is a bit alarming: 30 to 13 tonight, 32 to 17 against the Clippers, and 52 to 26 against the Rockets. Without Corey Maggette, this team is going to have to figure out how to get some easy buckets and get to the line.
- Also about the free throws, need to do a better job converting them. They did well against the Rockets but against the Clippers they made just 9-17 (52%) and just 6-13 against the Lakers (46%).
- What was Jeremy Lin thinking with those orange shoes? Did he not get the memo that this year's team colors have no orange in them? Let's hope he was wearing the orange shoes either because of Halloween or as a show of support for the Giants.
- Speaking of Lin, he got some extended minutes at the point tonight (16 minutes) and he's got a long way to go. 1-5 from the field, 5
turnoversfouls, but at least he had 4 steals and 3 assists. It's the turnovers that worry me and thatIt worries me that he can't shoot so well. (EDIT: Whoops mis-read the boxscore)
Rodney Carney is fast. On some of those fast breaks he really just explodes down the court. He did well on the glass tonight getting 8 boards in just 16 minutes.
- Brandan Wright. When is he going to be more than a more consistent player? He scored well tonight (11 points on 5-6 FG's), albeit against backups, but didn't rebound well (3 boards in 17 minutes). Still waiting for him to become a useful bench player.
- How is this team going to perform on the road this year? They weren't a good road team last year and unless they get tougher physically and mentally, I can't see them coming even close to .500 on the road.
- It's just one game and they played the best team in the league, but man the Warriors look bad without Steph. Ice, rest, massage. Repeat. Get well soon and please come back quick Steph.
- Warriors get 2 days off before they face the Memphis Grizzlies (Blog buddy: Straight Outta Vancouver). They'll take the time to lick their wounds and bounce back at home.
There's not much to celebrate from the Warriors game, so I'll give it to Madison Bumgarner for his dominant 8IP, 3H, 2BB, and 6K's. He was flat out awesome and for a 21 year old rookie pitcher to do that in a hostile environment in a pivotal game, wow.
Quick SAT question: Madison Bumgarner. Buster Posey. Ekpe Udoh. Which rookie doesn't belong?
Which game did you watch?
Warriors @ Lakers (287 votes)
Giants @ Rangers (663 votes)
950 total votes