...here's another trade idea with the Thuggets that might actually work for both sides. Humor me here, it's my first post...
(I think we'd possibly need to sweeten it with a 2nd round pick)
Ok, before I start another conflagration, let me start out by saying that I like Monta, and I still have high hopes for him. He has shown an ability (save last year and MopedGate) to hush his doubters in the past through on-court improvements to his game, and if we didn't trade him, I wouldn't be upset.
That said, I make this post because I think this trade is a true win/win and is actually viable for both parties for a number of reasons.
Why it's interesting to the Nuggets:
1. Prove to 'Melo that they're <cough> committed to winning by bringing in one of the league's top scorers.
2. Monta's used to playing in a fast-paced system.
3. Billups is the type of PG that can play successfully next to Monta and switch on Defense when Monta's out-muscled.
4. They get rid of a head-case in JR.
Why it's interesting for the Warriors:
1. We shore up our Front Court and solve our depth (or, lack thereof) problem
2. JR Smith's expiring contract and $6 Mil in Cap Space in 2011
3. JR would fit the run-n-gun
4. Solve the "Monta and Curry can't play in the back court together" problem by making room for Reggie to start
5. Get a "fan favorite/energy player" in the Bird Man to replace the void left by Turiaf.
Downside for Nuggets:
1. Long-term money commitment
2. Monta might not be enough to pacify Melo
3. Thins out their Center position
Downside for Warriors:
1. We take on a headcase, and by all accounts (and fights), not a great locker room guy
2. We get a headcase that is as likely to shoot you out of games as keep you in
3. We take a risk on 4 years of the Birdman's ailing knees at an already ancient age of 32
Anyway, after seeing so many impossible trade proposals posted here (and mulling over so many impossible ones on my own), I finally found one that had real-world possibility and figured it was worth sharing. I'm curious what you think...?
Thanks for reading.