Well, now that the Warriors have amnestied Bell (and have no shot at amnestying Lee, who in reality they've liked all along and weren't going to amnesty) and it's clear that the Warriors are going in a certain direction with this team, it's time to hope and/or pray that this plan will work out and get the Warriors the meaningless playoff appearance that was guaranteed. I'm assuming the Clips match for DeAndre.
- Steph comes into his own
- Monta's defensive problem isn't structural. It's just a lack of effort that the new coaching staff will help get rid of. He goes from an abomination on defense to simply bad. He also starts playing off the ball and cuts the sickening supply of jumpers that he has become accustomed to jacking up.
- New and better coaching and smart (not Smart) lineups will reinvigorate the ball club.
- The youth will provide needed depth.
- Udoh makes people forget about Greg Monroe. The case can be made that Udoh is a better player, but nobody sees it or cares about defensive efficiency as of now.
- Klay makes people forget about Kawhi Leonard, who is significantly younger and was ranked way higher on the most objective way of measuring draft prospects, John Hollinger's draft rater.
- Charles Jenkins performs admirably as a backup (or someone else is signed).
- The Dubs sign a legit backup 5 so that JT rarely if ever plays more than 5 minutes/game.
- The Dubs find a way to incorporate youth while still keeping things respectable.
- David Lee's defense improves significantly with better coaching and match-ups.
- Dorell plays like he did last year
- The West doesn't turn out to block the Dubs from a realistic playoff appearance
Andris returns from the dead and...
- Shoots 50% from the FT line
- Avgs 10/10
I'm not sure how realistic these situations are, but I think that this team can get to the playoffs if these hopes are all realized. Would I prefer that they trade Monta for, say, Iguodala, have amnestied the defensive atrocity that is David Lee, and generally be trying to rebuild? Yes, but it is sinking in that that isn't happening (and being decent has no negative drafting consequences), so I'm just hoping for the best with this current group.