Tip-Off: 12pm PST
TV: CSN Bay Area | Radio: KNBR 680
The Warriors finished 2011 on New Year's Eve like they played for the most of the previous 18 seasons- they stunk up the joint (see GameThread | Recap | Links | Synergy Recap). Here's hoping that we don't see many of those types of games in 2k12.
Jump for the first preview of 2012!
Everyone's Got a Crazy Cousin
The big news in the NBA landscape is the drama in Sacramento between the Kings and their seemingly mercurial and enigmatic 2nd year big man DeMarcus Cousins. Head on over to Sactown Royalty to get up to speed:
Of course they should be. Cousins looks like to be a complicated young man (to put it lightly), but I don't think anyone questions his talent (assuming that low FG% and the decision-making can be fixed with maturity). Just two years ago in the 2010 NBA Draft everyone was calling it a 5 man deep draft and the Warriors struck out by falling to the 6th slot. Cousins wound up going #5 to the Kings and the Warriors surprised many by taking Epke Udoh (instead of Greg Monroe) with the #6 pick. Udoh is already stellar defender, but there's no doubt that Cousins is a superior all-around player.
That's my story, but how about you? Would you do a straight up swap between Udoh and Cousins? A straight up swap would work cap-wise because they were drafted right next to each other.
Today we've got a matinee game for the Warriors in Phoenix against the Suns. There's no other way to get 2012 kicked off right than a mid-day battle between two likely Pacific Division cellar dwellers! Here's some predictions:
- This game isn't half as entertaining as those crazy Nellie vs D'Antoni Warriors-Suns shootouts back in 07 and 08. In fact there's a decent chance neither team hits triple digits.
- Stephen Curry enjoys the Steve Nash defense and has 30 points on some more red hot shooting.
- On offense Nash plays like it's 2005 and has 20 points and 12 assists.
- Grant Hill turns back the clock to 1995 and has 20-10-7. (Believe the hype- GHill was putting Hall of Fame numbers back in the day.)
- David Lee collects 20-10.
- Marcin Gortat has his best game as a Phoenix Sun and plays the role of Warrior-killer down low.
- Andris Biedrins attempts his first free throws of the season. Predict what happens in the comments...
- Warriors by 3.