DREAM LEAGUE Assistant General Manager (part-time)
*** please email cover letter and resume to jobs(at)dreamleague(dot)org … we expect a lot of inquiries, so please be patient as we get back to you ***
COMPANY: Dream League
TITLE: Assistant General Manager
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
BASED AT: Meetings in San Francisco (telecommute otherwise)
LENGTH: 3-6 months, possibly longer
HOURS/WEEK: Minimum 20-25 hours per week
Dream League is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, founded in 2002, that harnesses the power of adult basketball communities to provide otherwise unavailable professional and personal skills development opportunities to teenagers and young adults from disadvantaged neighborhoods.
We achieve this goal by creating the best possible oncourt recreational league basketball experience for adults, using the NBA format as a role model, and by hiring teenagers and young adults for key roles ranging from marketing to operations to customer service. In doing so, we create a symbiotic environment, creating a unique ecosystem of dependency between adult professionals and youth from socio-economically challenged communities.
Dream League seeks a diligent, independent, and enthusiastic individual to lead our ongoing operations as it pertains to league management, including but not limited to marketing, event planning and coordination, and onsite problem solving and customer service.
MARKETING: Create marketing campaigns, post advertisements, engage in market research as needed, call existing and potential vendors, assist in one-off special event planning, keep various constituencies “on the radar” and network as appropriate when the opportunity arises, attend industry gatherings or conferences, engage current and potential customers via Facebook/Twitter/Instagram.
EVENT REGISTRATIONS/COLLECTIONS: Answer text messages and voicemails in a timely manner. Arrive to meetings on time and commit to an agreed upon schedule. Manage customer registrations (Salesforce/Excel), including data scrubbing and timely voice follow-ups. Reconcile payments with registrations (PayPal). Repeated texts, calls, voicemails, and follow-up to delinquent customers.
EVENT PLANNING: Creation and management of master schedule. Reconciling with weekly schedule. Oversee staffing. Prepare league operations binders. Ensure vendors are paid. Send text reminders to staff about staffing arrival times and responsibilities.
EVENT MANAGEMENT: Onsite problem resolution and any other as-needed solutions that may come up, site maintenance (opening/closing/cleaning).
EVENT POST-MORTEM: Resolve any issues that came up during event, ensure that appropriate staff receives appropriate data essential to upcoming week’s event management, basic website updating (WordPress/Twitter/Facebook)
ONGOING CUSTOMER SERVICE: Answer or delegate all questions that come in by voicemail, email, or text. Coordinate fact-gathering with vendors, staff, and any other individuals required to resolve problems as noted by customers.
OTHER: All other duties as assigned by the Executive Director. Dream League’s approach and social endeavors, as well as brand name and reputation, often times leads to crossing paths with all walks of life in the worldwide community of basketball. This position offers the opportunity to network and develop a foundation in the sports industry, in a startup environment. On any given day you might be talking to a rec league basketball player, an AAU or grassroots youth coach, a trainer or athlete with experience in an overseas college or professional league, or an NBA executive (or all of the above).
- Have a passion for the sport of basketball and sense of responsibility for shepherding the game. Abide by Dream League’s mission of providing a safe-haven for basketball.
- Be physically located in the Bay Area for regular or impromptu meetings, to be held mostly in San Francisco.
- Able to commit to at least 3-6 months with a desire to continue to grow with us long-term.
- Excellent communication skills in dealing with a wide range of constituents that can vary from corporate executives to underprivileged kids from the inner city.
- Must be a self-starter and be proactive, understand the premise of under-promising and over-delivering, and speaking up and asking questions whenever necessary.
- Must be able to shift gears such as from being assertive with delinquent payers to going the “extra mile” with customer service, such as with prospects who are new to our protocols.
- Complete understanding of the use of smartphones.
- Complete understanding of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Gmail, Google Voice, Adobe Reader, creating PDFs, and similar office productivity apps.
- Experience with blogging platforms such as WordPress is preferred, but not required.
- Experience with social media networks such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Experience with apps that tie into social networks such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Experience with Quickbooks, PayPal, Salesforce is a plus, but not required.