First - huge congrats to the SF Giants winning the championship! They were simply amazing.
Looking at this team's success and always hungry for any ray of hope - what might the Warriors take from their champs across the Bay?
1) Depth is key - Warriors need to have a solid ten man rotation and be willing to rest the starters
2) Everyone knows their role - I really hope they establish a system, similar to the Celtics, where each player knows their role, they play off each other, and while lots of guys can score - they rotate who that key guy is from game to game.
3) A great team is better than a few super great players - Sadly, this is more true in baseball, but here is hoping the cliche applies to the dubs
4) Don't be afraid to make risky moves - From starting Zito to not allowing Melky to return - the Giants took some risks that paid off. At the trade deadline and with regards to playing time - don't be afraid to take risks. Who knows? Maybe Draymond Green is our Panda?
5) Its a long season - this is more for us Warrior fans on GSOM who apparently already know how Barnes' career will turn out before even one regular season game is played. But its also for Curry - I would rather he takes a cautious approach and rests when he needs to than try to tough it out because it is a contract year and end up risking a serious injury.
6) Great coaching matters a lot. - Well, the jury is still out on Mark Jackson, but I would reference point number four - if this team really struggles while still healthy, the ownership can't be afraid to make a change.
7) Have Fun! One thing evident from the Giants run - those guys really had a blast and genuinely enjoy each other. This seems true for the Dubs so far and lets hope that continues all season.
Okay - here is some random comparisons -
Klay is Pagan - A flat out stud who makes great plays look easy
Curry is Cain - a quiet and steady leader capable of pitching/shooting the perfect game
Barnes is Brandon Crawford - An athlete who will dazzle while still learning the game
Lee is Pence - Fiery vet who has some limitations but is consistent
Bogut is Posey - Our defensive anchor who will control the paint/plate
GO DUBS! Opening night is coming up!