Here's my admittedly naive thoughts on the trade. A few of these thoughts are from Lacob (link), so I'll take on the homer tag for those. I'm curious to see if anyone has counter arguments that I can buy into.
Yes, Monta was our best offensive player and a human highlight reel (and my favorite player to watch, because of his ridiculous speed and skill). Udoh was perhaps our best interior defender.
Honestly, I don't know how fun the games will be to watch without Monta. I guess if we are winning, a lot more fun, but I've been watching W's basketball long enough to not really know how that feels except for a fleeting moment around 2007. That's why the trade sucks.
- Monta wanted out. You can argue who "won" in this trade, but the fact that it is questionable is more than you can say for some fire sales when a player of value is anxious to leave.
- For the moment, I would assume Klay Thompson is our undisputed shooting guard. I don't know if a point guard exists to make up for Monta's lack of size or defense (Baron in his prime?), but Klay Thompson appears to have the size and skills to complement any point guard nicely.
- My eyes tell me Udoh is not big enough to excel at the center spot, and I prefer David Lee at power forward. Trading a bench big and a small for a starting center (albeit with risk) seems to be a good move.
- Speaking of David Lee, I love they guy because to my eyes he is the most consistently fired up player and can score from nearly anywhere. If Bogut heals, it isn't a stretch to think he and David Lee will make each other better.
- Bogut's injuries have been broken bones, not soft tissue, knee or back problems. True, he is a 7 footer and I'm sure just being big is a hazard, but I'm WAY more concerned with Curry's wheels than Bogut's.
- Your two options to rebuild are trade and/or draft. If you are a mediocre team, this is exactly the kind of risky move you have to make. Let it make the team a lot better (trade) or if the incoming pieces don't work out for next year, a lot worse (draft). A roster purge for Dwight Howard would have been another one of these types of moves.