CSN Bay Area released a "You Can Play" public service announcement about gay athletes, featuring Golden State Warriors guard Klay Thompson among other Bay Area professional sports stars.
The other athletes making an appearance in the video:
- San Francisco 49ers tight end Vernon Davis;
- Oakland Raiders fullback Marcel Reese;
- Oakland A's fielder Coco Crisp;
- San Francisco Giants pitcher Barry Zito;
- Golden State Warriors guard Klay Thompson;
- San Jose Sharks star Joe Thornton; and
- San Jose Earthquakes star Chris Wondolowski.
The PSA is part of the nationwide You Can Play Project (www.YouCanPlay.org) which promotes straight allies standing up for gay athletes, "... to ensuring equality, respect and safety for all athletes, without regard to sexual orientation."
On a related note, "The Last Closet" also recently released an interview with San Francisco Giants owner Larry Baer about gay bias in professional sports. Baer spoke to the core goals of the You Can Play Project from the perspective of an owner in terms of how a pro team would go about preparing for a player coming out, making homophobic comments publicly, and how the franchise could support a player that came out.