Okay so over the past few hours I was running a few ideas for trying to measure the defensive effect of having a certain player on the floor by using his points per 100 possessions. Basically the idea is we take the PPP*100 from when the player is off the court and subtract it with the PPP*100 for when the player is on the court. The final number is the difference that shows how many points per 100 possessions the player is worth on the court. This purely tells us how much the defensive efficiency of the team goes up or down depending on if the player is on the court compared to when he is off it.. All these stats were take from http://www.nbawowy.com/ . So what i've gone and done is calculated the DefEff score for all 11 players currently on our roster.
- Andrew Bogut: 1.8 DefEff Rating
- David Lee: 1.0 DefEff Rating
- Harrison Barnes: 1.5 DefEff Rating
- Klay Thompson: 1.1 DefEff Rating
- Stephen Curry: -3.0 DefEff Rating
- Festus Ezeli: -0.5 DefEff Rating
- Draymond Green: 2.1 DefEff Rating
- Andre Igoudala: 4.0 DefEff Rating
- Toney Douglas: 5.0 DefEff Rating
- Marreese Speights: -3.3 DefEff Rating
- Jermaine O Neal: 4.0 DefEff Rating
Okay that may seem all well and good but for comparisons sake I took the names of all the players on the all defense 1st team this year and ran them through.
- Lebron James: 1.5 DefEff Rating
- Joakim Noah: 4.3 DefEff Rating
- Tony Allen: 8.5 DefEff Rating
- Serge Ibaka: 0.2 DefEff Rating.
- Chris Paul: -6.5 DefEff Rating.