After the Warriors selected Patrick O'Bryant with the 9th pick and Kosta Perovic in the 2nd round of the 2006 NBA Draft I thought Chris Mullin and Rod Higgins screwed up another draft royally. A few NBDL stints later it unfortunately appears as if Project O'Bryant is headed nowhere fast.
A Super-Lotto D-League player.
This recent scouting report by Jonathan Givony for DraftExpress isn't exactly inspiring either:
At least LL POB?
Not that favorable comparisons to Patrick O'Bust mean much right now, but here's what Joe Abunassar who is currently training both Yi and O'Bryant told Janny Hu of the San Francisco Chronicle when comparing the two big men:
Actually I'd be somewhat shocked if POB was still on the Warriors' roster by the start of next year's training camp if Nellie's still around. By the way Hu's sources in that piece say Nellie's coming back- thank you Nelliebelly!
One of the side jokes of The Yi Movement during its inception was that Warriors Nation could pretty much randomly select someone in the NBA Draft and fair better than the (at that time) directionless and clueless Warrior front office. With Nellie on board it's an entirely different story now, but it does crack me up that almost a year later Yi is a superior prospect to POB. Who knows though? Maybe the Warriors end up with Yi and Nellie sends him to go jam in the D-League. Nellie's Golden State is a funny place.
Just for fun let's pretend Patrick O'Bryant was a member of this year's draft class. Where do you think he'd go? Top 10? Top 15? First Round? Second Round?
More on The Notorious P.O.B.:
- A Notorious Comeback?
- Patrick O'Bryant Will Be Jammin' in the D-League for the Rest of the Season
- Warriors Bringing Patrick O'Bryant Back to the NBA
- Patrick O'Bryant aka The Notorious P.O.B. Will Be Jammin' in the D-League
- All about the D-League
- The Chef to Work on New Recipes
More on Yi:
- 2007 NBA Draft: We want Yi Jian Lian!
- The Yi Movement Continues...
- Yi's Got Yao Ming and the Ladies Running!
- Yi Dropping Double Doubles
- Spanish Fly vs Yi Fly
- China vs USA- It's Yi Time!
- RECAP: Team USA 119, China 73
- Yi is FIBA's Interview of the (Long)Week
- Yi's a Sure Thing + Coast II Coast Bust
- Yi at FIBA and 2k7 Draft
- Yi in 2k7
- Yi's Sweeter than Mango Mochi Ice Cream
- Nellie Loves Chinese Ballas
- Yi Chat with Chad Ford
- Scouts LOVE Yi
- Is The Yi Movement Over?
- Rumor: Warriors are Yi "Approved"
- Rumor: Warriors and Bulls Want Yi
- Dwight Howard Endorses The Movement
- Yi's "a sight to behold"
- Rumor: Yi Could Pull a Fran Vazquez
- The Yi Movement Gets Junkdafied
- Rumor: Jason Richardson for 5th Pick (Yi Jianlian), Theo Ratliff, and Sebastian Telfair
- Rumor: Jason Richardson + #18 pick to Grizzlies, Celtics or Bobcats