Chris Mullin might be taking a bold public stance that Jason Richardson is not on the trading block, but the JRich rumor mill just won't die. Check out these lines from Janny Hu's piece In Warriors' world, great minds think alike for SFGate today:
Warriors' upstarts Andris Biedrins and Monta Ellis will be up for big money soon and Baron Davis wants an extension. But the Mullin-Nelson dynamic may ultimately be decided by the fate of Jason Richardson, a Mullin favorite who had an uneven and injury-filled first year under Nelson.
Mullin has publicly said he will not trade Richardson, but a league source indicated that Golden State has had exploratory conversations with at least one team, including a division rival, about moving the sixth-year guard.
I'd really hate to see the Warriors trade Jason Richardson especially if it's just to trim the team's payroll. I've said it before and I'll say it again: You don't open up cap space by trading away guys like JRich. You open up cap space to sign guys like JRich. I could care less if the .077 batting average Chris Cohan saves some money. In fact I'd rather all that green than Warriors Nation channels to his wallet go to Jason instead.
It's especially interesting that this league source has stated the Warriors have talked with a division rival about a JRich trade. Going down the list:
- Phoenix Suns: JRich would be great fit here, but the Suns would probably have to part with Shawn Marion or Amare Stoudemire. There's no way new Suns' GM Steve Kerr is that dumb.
- LA Lakers: I can't really see JRich and Kobe Bryant playing well together. Unless the Fakers are actually going to trade Kobe... muhahahaha!
- LA Clippers: Aside from Elton Brand (which ain't happening) is there really anyone on this roster you'd trade JR for? Didn't think so.
- Sacramento Kings: Aside from a package with Ron Artest and the #10 draft pick there's pretty much no trade that makes sense for the Warriors hoops-wise. I can't see anything happening here and if something goes down with Sacrapmento we'll all have painful Mitch Richmond for Billy Owens flashbacks for awhile.
Are there any realistic Jason Richardson trades with any of these Pacific Division foes that make sense? Post them in the comments.
99% of rumors never happen, but 99% of them are fun to talk about!
The Jason Richardson rumor mill:
- Rumor: Cavaliers Interested in Trading for Jason Richardson
- Rumor: Jason Richardson + #18 Pick for Bucks' #6 Pick (Yi Jianlian)
- Rumor: Jason Richardson + #18 pick to Grizzlies, Celtics or Bobcats
- Rumor: Jason Richardson for 5th Pick (Yi Jianlian), Theo Ratliff, and Sebastian Telfair
- Rumor: Warriors Likely to Deal Richardson, Ellis, or Pietrus and O'Bryant
- Rumor: Jason Richardson Wants to Go to the Pistons or Bulls
- Sam Smith is Messed Up
- Rumor: Jason Richardson, Baron Davis, and Mickael Pietrus All on the Trading Block
- Rumor: Jason Kidd for Jason Richardson + Adonal Foyle / Warriors Shopping JRich
- Rumor: Jason Kidd for Jason Richardson, Mickael Pietrus, Monta Ellis and Patrick O'Bryant
- Rumor: Warriors Would Move JRich If They Could
- Rumor: Mike Dunleavy, Troy Murphy, and Jason Richardson All Available on Trade Market