There's no better way to begin the 2007 NBA Draft day for Warriors Nation than with a little Yi fun. From Janny Hu of SFGate:
In particular, Golden State would love to select Chinese forward Yi Jianlian, according to league sources, but the Warriors need an unlikely and major jump from their current 18th slot.
Yi, a consensus lottery pick, could go as high as No. 3 and isn't expected to get past the Bulls at No. 9.
"They're trying," one source said of the Warriors' springboard attempts. "But I don't know if they're going to get there."
What's known is that the Warriors have been tracking Yi since well before vice president Chris Mullin watched the 7-footer play in the Chinese Basketball Association Finals in March.
Golden State was one of the first teams to see Yi work out in Los Angeles when special assistant Mitch Richmond was invited to an open session with Chinese media. Mullin then went back to see him two weeks ago with coach Don Nelson and assistant Larry Riley.
Unless the Warriors are creating an elaborate smokescreen, they view Yi as an ideal fit for their up-tempo style. The forward averaged 24.9 points and 11.5 rebounds for the Chinese league's Guangdong Tigers last season and would be a huge attraction for the Chinese market here and the Warriors' overseas.
Yi's talks about the one year strong The Yi Movement with reporters.
Maybe you've heard about this Yi character. Maybe you haven't. In the words of Biggie- "If you don't know, now you know!"
I can honestly say that I have absolutely no idea what the Warriors are going to do today, but that's what makes it so much fun. My boy DJ Fuzzylogic and I have been hyping this up as the best day of summer. Make sure to stay tuned to GSoM throughout the entire day- DJ Fuzzylogic, Fantasy Junkie, and I will be posting numerous updates up until the NBA Draft at 4pm and then our 3rd annual live blogging festivities will kick off.
DO NOT SLEEP.
Do you think the Warriors are genuinely interested in Yi or is it part of some crazy smokescreen?
99% of rumors never happen, but 99% of them are fun to talk about!
- 2007 NBA Draft: We want Yi Jian Lian!
- The Yi Movement Continues...
- Yi's Got Yao Ming and the Ladies Running!
- Yi Dropping Double Doubles
- Spanish Fly vs Yi Fly
- China vs USA- It's Yi Time!
- RECAP: Team USA 119, China 73
- Yi is FIBA's Interview of the (Long)Week
- Yi's a Sure Thing + Coast II Coast Bust
- Yi at FIBA and 2k7 Draft
- Yi in 2k7
- Yi's Sweeter than Mango Mochi Ice Cream
- Nellie Loves Chinese Ballas
- Yi Chat with Chad Ford
- Scouts LOVE Yi
- Is The Yi Movement Over?
- Rumor: Warriors are Yi "Approved"
- Rumor: Warriors and Bulls Want Yi
- Dwight Howard Endorses The Movement
- Yi's "a sight to behold"
- Rumor: Yi Could Pull a Fran Vazquez
- The Yi Movement Gets Junkdafied
- Rumor: Jason Richardson for 5th Pick (Yi Jianlian), Theo Ratliff, and Sebastian Telfair
- Rumor: Jason Richardson + #18 pick to Grizzlies, Celtics or Bobcats
- Project O'Bust vs Yi Jianlian
- Yi in Town
- Rumor: Jason Richardson + #18 Pick for Bucks' #6 Pick (Yi Jianlian)
- Chris Mullin Talks about The Yi Movement
- Yi Jianlian Takes Over ESPN.com
- Yi Blogs like an American!