First and foremost, this was one of the hardest choices we at GSoM have ever had to make (second to who's house we should watch the game at). Thank you for the creative, hilarious, and carefully thought out responses to our GSoM 'You Be the DJ' Ticket Giveaway Contest! ; we definitely learned a lot reading the responses and have expanded our musical archive thanks to your work! It definitely wasn't easy, but we were able to agree on a winner, who will receive a pair of tickets to the Warrior-Spurs game (section 109 next to the "make your free throw, please" guy). There were many other great responses, so we wanted to send a thanks for the effort. The runner-ups will receive a GSoM pin!
Read More to read more of who the winners are and if YOU won!
The official winner is....
Here is his winning entry in full! (See runner-ups below)
I have chosen 15 songs that I would play if I were to DJ the Warriors next home game. Almost every track is by an Oakland or Bay Area native or has some kind of Warriors or NBA reference, which is pretty cool. I have written a blurb for each one (in quote boxes) and uploaded all of the songs as well, so you can listen for yourself and see what you think. Enjoy!
1. Pre-game Shootaround:
Basketball - Kurtis Blow
2. Ready for Tip-Off:
Eye of the Tiger/ Holla if You Hear Me - 2Pac vs. Survivor
3. Timeout when the Warriors need some Energy:
Game Time - Trackrunners
4. When the Warriors (especially Stephen Jackson) are Dominating:
Oaktown - Dangerous Dame
BONUS MP3 for Hieroglyphics fans: Here is Casual's re-make of this song
5. Warrior Girls Dance song #1:
Dance to the Music - Sly & The Family Stone
- Sylvester became "Sly" Stone when he started off as a disc jockey for San Francisco radio station KSOL.
- His first band was named Sly and the Stoners.
- The Family Stone were formed when The Stoners teamed up with The Stone Souls, which was Sly's brother Freddie's band. Sly and Freddie were both guitarists, so Sly named Freddie the "official" guitarist for the Stone and then taught himself the electronic organ. I guess that's why he got the band named after him!
6. Warrior Girls Dance song #2:
Let's Get Down - Tony! Toni! Tone! feat. DJ Quik
7. For Thunder and Crew to Breakdance to:
It's Like That - Run-D.M.C.
8. Post-Halftime Warmup song:
N.B.A. - Ras Kass feat. Xzibit & Saafir
9. While the opponent is shooting free throws:
Red, Black & Green - Pharoah Sanders
I picked it up a couple years ago when I started getting into free jazz. Free jazz is all about energy and improvisation, so you could definitely compare it to the Warriors' style of play. Thembi is a really dope album, but it's TOUGH to listen to this cut all the way thru. In fact, I dare you! It has a haunting beginning and it doesn't start to let up until you're 2 minutes in. You know how a lot of players aren't distracted by noise at the free throw line? Well, I can almost guarantee you that this song would make a difference.
10. For the Crunch Time Timeout:
My Favorite Mutiny - The Coup feat. Black Thought & Talib Kweli
11. When Baron Davis comes thru in the Clutch:
Anchor Man - Chali 2na
12. After the Warriors Win:
I Got 5 On It (Boom Dizzle Remix) - San Quinn, Equipto, etc.
13. When the Warriors are getting blown out:
What I Got - Michael Franti & Spearhead w/Gift of Gab
14. For Troy Murphy:
Red Rum - Celly Cel feat. Spice 1
15. For Kobe, Webber, Ice Cube, Snoop, etc:
A Friendly Game of Basketball - J-Zone
"Timberlake is the man for flashing Janet's tits, but his hoop game is so weak even Magic can't assist. I saw Nelly playing ball but his game was skurred, 1-on-1 you wanna ball we can ball right hurr. I heard Latifah played in high school and she won the state, I'll still swat a girl's shot I don't discriminate."
"Even Chris Webber don't stand a chance, I'll cross him up, f*ck up his bad knee and put him in an ambulance (see ya!)"
Haha, nothing like ending on a Chris Webber diss. I sure hope someone enjoyed this.
Zack Vank, Demon86, and ArtestJackson08
(click on names to see their responses)
Thanks all again for participating! Zack Vank, Demon86, and ArtestJackson08: Hit us up at firstname.lastname@example.org with your snail mail address (from the email address on your GSoM account) and we'll ship out the 2008 GSoM Pins out to you. They look great on backpacks, purses, and denim jackets!