SI.com's Marty Burns dropped some NBA trade market info just a few hours ago in his piece Market buzz: Players, teams to watch as trade deadline approaches. The Warriors are buzzing:
The Raptors and Warriors have discussed a deal that would center on Mickael Pietrus going to Toronto for Juan Dixon and Joey Graham, according to a league source.
Lace up your Jordans and jump!
The Raptors' interest in MP2 dates all the way back to last spring, so there really isn't too much of a surprise there. He could give the Raptors a reasonable defender at the wings and some solid 3pt shooting from the corners. I wouldn't be all that surprised if Pietrus plays much better some place else right now. He's made it pretty clear that he doesn't want to be here anymore. Given his sporadic playing time and the fact that he's constantly being asked to match up to much bigger front court players, I don't know if I can really blame him.
On the Warriors side, as Nellie noted last week on his show with the Razor and Mr. T on KNBR Pietrus really hasn't given the team all that much this year. It's pretty clear to anyone who's followed the Dubs that there's a high likelihood he's gone by tomorrow at 1pm, but we were all thinking that same thing last year around this time. If the Warriors can't consummate a deal for some reason there's next to no chance that they hold onto Pietrus past this spring. Given Pietrus' struggles this season, dismal hoops IQ, and lack of major improvement from year 1 to year 5 in the NBA, I don't know if I can really blame them.
But do Raps Juan Dixon and Joey Graham really give the Warriors much, if anything at all? Moving Pietrus for them is a lateral move at best. Dixon does have a nice 3pt shot, but the Warriors are already overloading with smallish scoring guards with Monta Ellis and CJ Watson. Graham has been somewhat of a bust since the Raptors selected him with the 16th overall pick in the 2005 draft. I'd be surprised if Nellie even played either of those more than garbage time minutes. Pietrus is no doubt in a serious funk right now, but he's better than he's played so far this season and Nellie knows that.
Head on over to Mrsouthbay's diary for more thoughts about this rumored deal.
Would you trade Pietrus for Dixon and Graham?
Some Raptors focused sites to check out:
A lot of Raptors' blogs have emailed us for a scouting report on Pietrus. Here's some good starting points:
The MP2 Trade Rumor Mill Archive:
- Rumor: Pietrus to the Heat, Warriors Not Interested in Smush Parker + Other Heat Options
- Rumor: Warriors and Heat Talked about Smush Parker Deal
- Rumor: Miami Heat Interested in Mickael Pietrus
- Mickael Pietrus Becomes Tradeable on January 1st
- Pietrus no longer "White Hot"
- Rumor: Pietrus wants to play in Miami
- Rumor: Pietrus may have other options
- Rumor: Pietrus May Sign a 1 year, $3.4 mil deal with Warriors
- Rumor: Toronto Raptors Saving Midlevel Exception for Mickael Pietrus
- Rumor: Jason Kidd for Jason Richardson, Mickael Pietrus, Monta Ellis and Patrick O'Bryant
- Rumor: Nellie Wants Another Trade + Mickael Pietrus on the Trading Block
- Rumor: Mickael Pietrus Most Likely Warrior to Be Dealt Today
- Rumor: Jason Richardson, Baron Davis, and Mickael Pietrus All on the Trading Block
- Rumor: Warriors Likely to Deal Richardson, Ellis, or Pietrus and O'Bryant
99% of rumors never happen, but 99% of them are fun to talk about!