Donde esta mi ago? You were drafted by the Minnesota Timberwolves with this 5th pick back in June, and yet unlike Eddie Murphy in a fine film, you did not end up Coming to America.
Instead you decided to stay despite wanting no more from your former team, DKV Joventut. So you got them to trade your rights to Regal Barcelona, and poof, you signed a 6 year contract with them. Does this mean you're staying there all 6 years? No. But it does mean it will be a while before you end up coming to the States.
Now what you ask?
Listen Ricky, I get it. I understand why you didn't want to be a part of the T-Wolves. Although they have a great fan base (if you haven't I suggest checking out our SB Nation brother Canis Hoopus), they don't really have a great team. Let's be honest, a record of 24-58 is pretty hard to go to. They lack a superstar and an all-star, but hey, there's potential right? Trust me, I know how that feels.
But let's look at what this organization did for you without even signing you!
Ramon Sessions,Antonio Daniels, Jonny Flynn, Wayne Ellington, Oleksiy Pecherov, Chucky Atkins, Damien Wilkins, Ryan Hollins, Mark Blount, Sasha Pavlovic
Key subtractions: Randy Foye, Mike Miller, Sebastian Telfair, Craig Smith, Mark Madsen, Kevin Ollie, Q-Richardson
Essentially, the T-Wolves traded away two capable players (Foye and Miller) to the Wizards in order to draft you at number 5. They hired a new coach, former Lakers assistant coach Kurt Rambis. New T-Wolves GM , David Kahn, even made plenty of trips to Spain in order to speak with you and your family as well as DKV about a potential buyout. They even claim that the details were worked out. It would have been hard since due to the rookie pay scale, the buyout clause from your DKV contract would have prevented you from making any money directly from the T-Wolves. But hey, there would have been crazy endorsement contracts to sign and you would have made some good money.
Nonetheless, I can see your point. Why go to the T-Wolves? They're a terrible a team, especially since losing KG. That trade was straight up silly, but hey, whatever works to get the Celtics a championship, right? Furthermore,with the T-Wolves original pick at #6, they chose another point guard! Jonny Flynn + Ricky Rubio = weird back court. I get that. But so does Stephen Curry + Monta Ellis, right? Take a look at the Warriors, it's going to be a great year for us!
Moreover, I get that you want to be the focus of the town. Kinda hard when some old guy keeps wavering around a comeback all summer and then finally decides to join a team mid-training camp. No names to be mentioned here. Only pictures.
- Win less than 27 games
- Sessions + Flynn = strange back court, but somehow it manages to work
- Kevin Love has another monster year
- We all see a ton of potential
For more on the Minessota Timberwolves check out Canis Hoopus:
2009-2010 Around the Association
- Atlanta Hawks: Sorry, Mrs. Jackson. The Hawks are for real.
- Boston Celtics: Sheed in Green + Another Answer
- Charlotte Bobcats: They Do Exist
- Chicago Bulls: Ring Around the Rose-y
- Cleveland Cavaliers: Now or Never
- Dallas Mavericks: The Curse of the Dampier
- Denver Nuggets: If it ain't broke...
- Detroit Pistons: The Return of the Bay Boys
- Houston Rockets: Yao-ch!, that's gotta hurt
- Indiana Pacers: A One Man Show
- Los Angeles Clippers: Warriors South No More
- Los Angeles Lakers: Big Brother, Little Brother
- Memphis Grizzlies: Going Back to Vancouver
- Miami Heat: Need to get the point
- Milwaukee Bucks
- Minnesota Timberwolves
- New Jersey Nets: The Year of the Yi
- New Orleans Hornets: Two first names, one great point guard
- New York Knicks
- Oklahoma City Super Sonics
- Orlando Magic
- Philadelphia Sixers
- Phoenix Suns
- Portland TrailBlazers
- Sacramento Kings
- San Antonio Spurs
- Toronto Raptors
- Utah Jazz
- Washington Wizards