Why the X factors? Well, let's just put it this way. There is very little down, even among the casual NBA fan that Oklahoma has a roster that will grow to do some pretty big things. Centered around the phenom that is Kevin Durant, the thunder also play home to Jeff Green, Russell Westbrook, and (now) James Harden, this team is only on their way up as this core unit learns the ins and outs of each others' games.
So again, why X factor?
When you have a team that everyone generally agrees can be great, every season is the potential breakout year. Even though Oklahoma is only playing it's second year in its new home, this could really be a team to watch. If, for no other reason than for Kevin Durant.
Kevin Durant Mix (via maurixjames23)
Honestly, I have no idea what to tell you about where this team can go. Lord knows how much work went into forming a better cohesiveness among the core talent that will hopefully propel them above their inaugural record of 23-59. This is a team that is simply in the start of rebuilding since they peaked as the Supersonics in 1996 by losing against Jordan's Bulls. Don't feel too bad for them. They've still been to the Playoffs more often that us during that time. (That's a hard feat to overcome, isn't it?)
With this group of young guns, the Thunder may be poised for a great run.
Will this be the year or Durant?! My guess is yes and no. Yes, KD is going to have another ridiculous season - and although I see the Thundar vastly improving upon last seasons' record, I'm not sure they're going to be quite where they need to be to make a dent in the Western Conference this year.
- Closed out the season 23-59
- KD averaged 25.7 ppg.
- Stole the Warriors' mascot. Weak sauce.
- Snatched up rookie James Harden
- Added Kevin Ollie to the roster
- Added Etan Thomas
2009-2010 Around the Association
- Atlanta Hawks: Sorry, Mrs. Jackson. The Hawks are for real.
- Boston Celtics: Sheed in Green + Another Answer
- Charlotte Bobcats: They Do Exist
- Chicago Bulls: Ring Around the Rose-y
- Cleveland Cavaliers: Now or Never
- Dallas Mavericks: The Curse of the Dampier
- Denver Nuggets: If it ain't broke...
- Detroit Pistons: The Return of the Bay Boys
- Houston Rockets: Yao-ch!, that's gotta hurt
- Indiana Pacers: A One Man Show
- Los Angeles Clippers: Warriors South No More
- Los Angeles Lakers: Big Brother, Little Brother
- Memphis Grizzlies: Going Back to Vancouver
- Miami Heat: Need to get the point
- Milwaukee Bucks: Saving a few buck$
- Minnesota Timberwolves: Donde esta Senor Rubio?
- New Jersey Nets: The Year of the Yi
- New Orleans Hornets: Two first names, one great point guard
- New York Knicks: Is it summatime yet?
- Oklahoma City Thunder
- Orlando Magic: Are they Vinsane? You be the judge
- Philadelphia 76ers: Are they (Elton) Brand New?
- Phoenix Suns: Who knows?
- Portland TrailBlazers: The Fire Keeps Burning
- Sacramento Kings: It's all up from here
- San Antonio Spurs: An Apple a Day...
- Toronto Raptors: So International
- Utah Jazz: Reset Button
- Washington Wizards