JUMP for the 411 and thoughts about Melo, Iggy, and J-Smoove on the Dubs in place of Monta.
Ellis has Warriors fans abuzz and, perhaps most important, management in awe. The Warriors still are interested in landing another difference maker, but, according to multiple team sources, there are only a handful of players who would make the Warriors consider trading Ellis.
Just before the season started, when reports surfaced about forward Carmelo Anthony wanting out of Denver, Bay Area News Group reported that the Warriors were offering anyone but Curry to get Anthony. As early as October, rumors circulated about the Warriors dangling Ellis to try to get someone such as Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala or Atlanta's Josh Smith.
At this point, neither Iguodala nor Smith would be enough in return for Ellis. One source said the Warriors probably wouldn't part with Ellis even if it meant landing Anthony, who some consider a top-five player in the NBA.
ESPN.com's Chris Broussard also corrobates the Monta untradability (did I just make up that word?!) in his recent True Hoop blog post:
While rumors of an Ellis trade were rampant last summer, sources tell me the Warriors have no intention of moving Ellis.
Here's what we know about Monta Ellis based on what we've seen in his 5+ years on the Warriors:
- He can be immature. Exhibit: Moped Gate.
- He can be selfish: Exhibit: Ball hogging last season and haterism about the Warriors drafting Stephen Curry.
- He can be dumb. Exhibit: He doesn't exactly come across as the brightest guy in his interviews or with the logic fueling his often times public tantrums.
- He is NOT a point guard or someone you want running your offense. Exhibit: Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers.
- He can be a horrific defender. Exhibit: His turnstyle defense from 2007-2010 which led to superstar scoring nights from random guards.
- He can choke in the playoffs. Exhibit: 2007 NBA Playoffs of WE BELIEVE fame, but that was 3 years ago, so I'd expect better now. (I know what you're thinking though.)
The biggest worry of course is that Melo might depart after this season as free agent. The Monta of the past 2 seasons for a 1 year rental of Melo? Done deal.
The Monta of the past 2 seasons for Iggy? Done deal.
The Monta of the past 2 seasons for Josh Smith? Yup, yup.