Originally posted Jan 17, 2011 7:01 AM PST
TV: CSN Bay Area / Radio: KTCT 1050
Blog Buddy: NetsDaily
It has become an annual tradition for us at GSOM, Martin Luther King Jr. Day = GSOM Kids Day. For the past 3 years, including today, the Warriors and GSOM team up to give away 100+ tickets (118 this year) to local organizations so that the youth involved in those organizations can attend a game. Sometimes, it's the first game they've ever been to. The Warriors donate the tickets to us and we find the youth organizations who can benefit from these tickets.
If you've never been to a Warriors game on MLK Day, it's quite interesting. Most schools get the day off and the Warriors know this. I'm sure they donate plenty of tickets on that day because the arena is full of kids. The vibe and the energy during the game is completely different than normal. It's different and a lot of fun.
Hit the jump to find out which youth organizations we're working with this year.
- Emeryville Parks and Rec
"Farm Drive Neighborhood Ministry offers urban neighborhood kids the opportunity to mature holistically (intellectually, emotionally, spiritually socially, and physically), through consistent long-term, mentoring relationships. We at Hillside Church want to help our kids, their families, and our community by being the hands and feet of Jesus in all that we do.
We offer Pre-Kinder and Kinder classes, after school homework assistance (Homework Club) for elementary through high school, Saturday Bible Clubs, Street Hockey, Summer Read ‘n Swim, Monthly Food Distribution, and summer and winter camps."
Oakland Housing Authority
"Our Mission: To assure the availability of quality housing for low-income persons and to promote the civic involvement and economic self-sufficiency of residents and to further the expansion of affordable housing within Oakland."
Potrero Hill Neighborhood House
"The Potrero Hill Neighborhood House is a multi-purpose, multi-generational community center that has been in operation for over a century. We offer a "micro-system" of "family privilege" to all members within our community to help children, youth and seniors overcome potential risks from educational deficits and violence to hunger.
We provide a safe, turf-free place where community members can come to be healed, educated, entertained and inspired. We are open to all San Franciscans and provide necessary services, free of charge, to those most in need with a geographic focus on the Southeast section of the city, Potrero Hill, Visitation Valley and Bay View Hunters Point."
Rotary Club of Oakland
The Rotary Club of Oakland is a diverse service club of over 340 professionals, businesspersons, and other community leaders dedicated to fighting hunger and disease, and promoting health, education and other humanitarian causes in Oakland and around the world.
Quick bits about the game
- The Nets are 3-20 on the road and 10-30 overall. Why oh why would Carmelo Anthony sign a contract extension to play for them?
- This is the last game of 4 game West Coast road trip for the Nets. They've lost 5 in a row and 10 of their last 11. They're either going to come out with a lot of energy trying to end the streak or if the Warriors can get up big early, they might be able to coast the rest of the game if the Nets have their minds on the plane ride home instead of the game.
- Stephen Curry did not finish the game against the Clips in crunch time minutes. Reggie Williams took his place because of Reggie was a better defensive fit. Good move by Smart to win that game, but is that going to have any long term effects on Steph's confidence? Most likely not, but it's worth keeping track of and seeing if and how this affects Reggie.
- The Warriors have a chance to roll off a series of wins. They've won 7 of their last 12 games including 3 of their last 5. With the Nets, Pacers and Kings coming to Oakland, there's a good chance for a win streak.
- Warriors by 8
- Monta Ellis and Stephen Curry combine for 55+
- Brook Lopez has a big game with 20-10
For those of you with the day off, enjoy your free time and I hope you get to watch the game. I'll be stuck at work wishing I was at the game watching a Warriors win.