By now you’re probably aware of the heartbreaking and terrifying fires running through Northern California. Sonoma, Napa, and Mendocino county are all experiencing extreme fires that have taken homes, schools, and lives.
The Golden State Warriors have teamed with other professional sports organizations in the Bay Area to donate $450,000 to the American Red Cross, a number they hope the community will match.
Every little bit helps, and however much you can spare, wherever you give it, is meaningful. That said, there are organizations that do even more with their money than the American Red Cross, which has high administrative costs.
If you’re looking for a place to help out, we’ve got some resources for you. Over at McCovey Chronicles, Grant Brisbee put together a long list of places to donate.
Nate has recommended donating to Valley of the Moon Children’s Foundation, which has been forced to evacuate many children who have no place to go.
The East Bay Express compiled a terrific list of businesses who are having fundraisers, donating profits, or welcoming evacuees.
The LA Times put together a list of shelters accepting evacuees, and all of these places need donations, be it money, food, or bedding. Here’s the list:
- Sonoma County Fairgrounds at 1350 Bennet Valley Road, Santa Rosa
- Finley Community Center at 2060 West College Ave., Santa Rosa (this shelter is at capacity)
- Santa Rosa Veterans Building at 1351 Maple Ave., Santa Rosa (this shelter is at capacity)
- Petaluma Community Center at 320 N. McDowell Blvd., Petaluma (this shelter is at capacity)
- Sebastopol Community Center at 390 Morris St., Sebastopol
- Cloverdale Citrus Fair at 1 Citrus Fair Drive, Cloverdale
- Sonoma Valley High School at 20000 Broadway, Sonoma
- Analy High School Gym at 6950 Analy Ave., Sebastopol
- Elsie Allen High School at 599 Bellevue Ave., Santa Rosa
- Healdsburg Community Center at 1157 Healdsburg Ave., Healdsburg
- Church of Christ at 370 Sonoma Mountain Parkway, Petaluma
- New Life Church at 1310 Clegg St., Petaluma
- Cook Middle School at 2480 Sebastopol Road, Santa Rosa
- Guerneville Veterans Hall at 16255 1st St., Guerneville
- Monte Rio School at 20700 Foothill Drive, Monte Rio
- Windsor High School at 8695 Windsor Road, Windsor
- Casa Grande High School at 3333 Casa Grande Road, Petaluma
Any amount that you can give, to anywhere, makes a difference. Let’s all do what we can as a community to help those around us.