By re-signing JaVale McGee, the Golden State Warriors will have the majority of their 2017 championship roster returning for the 2017-18 NBA season.
That alone is exciting. Yet Coach Nick of BBallBreakdown described in a video published just yesterday how McGee could possibly be even more effective by making a few adjustments to his game.
A quick summary of the points Coach Nick brought up:
- McGee’s posture on defense could lead to him being off-balance at times — he hunches over as he’s getting set up on defense (Coach Nick suggests strengthening his core to correct this issue)
- McGee tends to hop instead of slide when he rotates on defense.
- McGee is sometimes late to react/rotate on defense, which leads to exacerbating dribble penetration.
- McGee reaches on ball handlers who he probably shouldn’t be trying to steal the ball from too often.
- His defensive footwork limits the impact of his athleticism at times.
- Offensively, he has a tendency to turn the wrong way on pick-and-rolls.
Take a look at the full video below.