The season hasn’t even started yet, but it’s never too early to talk about another chance to party at Oracle with a bunch of strangers from the internet! In case you are new to this whole thing, GSOM Night is a unique fan experience that is a cooperative endeavor of the Golden State Warriors team, and us - the GSOM community.
What is it?
It’s a group seating deal for one specific game in order to bring our community out to a game together - with favorable pricing, and the opportunity to shoot free throws afterwards.
Every time people see pictures of it, they invariably ask me. “How do you get down on the court like that? Can I go shoot a free throw too?”
Well my friends, the answer to both of those questions is: GSOM Night. You can read about last years’ adventures here. Details for this year are still being finalized, but you can rest assured that there will be custom shirts, and free throws on the court, and GSOM people.
When is it?
January 25th, 2018. It’s a Thursday at 7:30.
We know that weekends are generally more convenient, but coming in to this year, Nate and I had two priorities: keep costs down, and ensure free throws. So we get a game a bit before the All Star break, against an up and coming Timberwolves team (by the way, if you haven’t yet, be sure to check out Hugo Kitano’s excellent profile on the revamped Wolves).
There will be more details. Most importantly of course, pricing and ordering information; but we are also looking into another courtside pregame shoot-around for the first lucky people that buy tickets.
Who will design the shirts?
Ok, here’s where it gets different from previous years. This time around, we thought it would be fun to solicit designs from GSOM. We still have Tony.psd waiting in the wings in case we need a quick design, but we thought there could be some artists around here that might want to try their hand at coming up with something cool and original.
The specifications for the image are:
- Line drawing or similar. This will be a single color, printed image - so clean, clear design elements will show best. The print will be single color, and single-sided, on a “Warriors Blue” shirt.
- Submit them to GSOM by commenting with the image, or by linking to the site hosting your image.
- It should say “GSOM Night 2017” (or 2018) or something along those lines. Inclusion of this is technically optional, but your design better be amazing if you don’t give GSOM a shout out.
- No specific file formats or anything. If you can get your image on to the internet to share, we will figure out a way to transmit it through the final print process. I found this guide helpful. If you lack the design expertise, but have an idea, go ahead and drop it in the comments and maybe someone will run with it for you. If you crudely draw something with a crayon and upload a photo of that picture from your phone, it will probably not make the final cut.
- We are still finalizing the GSOM Night details, including submittal deadline for this design. In general, we know that we will need the image close to the start of the season. That means you have a month or two to craft your ideas.
We will be back soon with more updates and details, but please share this now among your friends - and the internet at large. We want as may brilliant ideas as we can get. The GSOM moderation team will work with Tony.psd to select the final image.
Also, please save the date for GSOM night. Our Warriors are leaving Oracle soon, so this literally is one of the very last chances you will ever have to go see our favorite team, and then walk down onto the court after the game and try to hit a free throw.
See you there!