Damian Jones had a nice season opener as the new Warriors starting center, with eye-popping highlights and young mistakes as well. Here are some brief notes taken during the game, followed by a video breakdown of Damian Jones’s scores. In brief, Jones looks like he can adequately play the roles of Zaza Pachulia (as giant defender) and JaVale McGee (high-flying vertical spacer) if he can keep catching up to game speed and getting chemistry with his teammates.
Brief Game Notes
- Standing figure on OKC bench is Westbrook right after he talked trash to Durant when Adams posted him up. Adams knocked Durant back about 5 feet but Durant got the strip and turned to ask Westbrook how his day was going.
- GSW, in their endearing way, is force feeding their new toy, Damian Jones. Results are spectacular dunks and horrible turnovers. Jones looks okay on defense except for a jumpy foul.
- DJ stoned Adams on a post up, then made a nice find of KD in the corner, got an OREB and nice dish for a layup, then happily skipped down the court. Then another turnover with KD forcing to to DJ. It’s a roller coaster ride with the new guys.
- The Q1 closing lineup (KD, Quinn, AI, Dray, Looney) looked discombobulated. Missed the 2 for 1. Gave up sloppy points.
- An older person dance troupe, the Hardwood Classics, got a wild ovation from the crowd. Don’t remember seeing them before...
- The Oracle crowd, upon careful reflection, have decided that the bizarre charge call on KD is evidence that the referees do in fact suck.
- Standing O for David West on Legend Cam during the break.
- Is this some weird hazing to have McKinnie debut by guarding the tiny guards Schroeder and Felton?
- And why is Kerr denying us the only true Steph we have left, 2-for-1 Steph? Stop pulling the man and let him roam free for 40 seconds!
- DJ with great hustle putbacks, bad mistakes leaving PG13 open for 3, sloppy offensive fouls, JaVale-like finishing on lobs, tough play inside, let a rebound fall to his feet and get stolen. He will improve and he can definitely play JaVale’s role.
- Quinn Cook tries to dish to Jerebko under the hoop, hits him in the butt
- Klay keeping his streak alive of shooting in under 0.5 seconds when touching the ball after an offensive rebound.
- Klay has been trying to create more off the dribble, but it hasn’t really been happening for him.
- Looney with a hustle putback dunk, then a huge block. Damian with a nice finish, and a block, then stones Adams again posting up. Young bigs showing more good than bad in the 4th so far.
- Looney with a nice finish in the post to probably ice it. Steph got caught isolated on PG13, played great denial D, then passed him off to Klay.
- Then the whole arena had a heart attack when KD went down. We can all laugh about it now.
- Dray with a nice play to force jump ball. Steph was so pumped, he raced over and paddled Dray’s rear.
- Well, the Dubs played with their food some, and played with their new toy bigs, but generally played okay, except for every play with a young big, which were all crapshoots. Promising stuff though.
I chose to highlight the good instead of carping about issues for future improvement. Damian Jones was sturdy on defense and did a good job punishing OKC for doubling Stephen Curry. Here we track how he got his 12 points on thunderous dunks and contained the massive Steven Adams. Co-starring Stephen Curry, Draymond Green, Kevin Durant and Klay Thompson.
Damian Jones's Dozen Points
Watch Damian Jones, the new Warriors starting center on opening night. He tossed in 12 points on thunderous dunks and contained the massive Steven Adams. Co-starring Stephen Curry, Draymond Green, Kevin Durant and Klay Thompson. By @EricApricot. More videos and full articles at http://tinyurl.com/ericapricotPosted by Golden State of Mind on Wednesday, October 17, 2018
Who will start the most games for GSW?
This poll is closed