We’ve already been through the possibilities in-depth, but let’s try to separate the rumors from the speculation as the deadline approaches.
Rumors about possible moves
- Monte Poole of NBC Sports Bay Area reported on Tuesday night that “the Warriors are prepared to have a roster without McGee, and he is prepared to join another team.” This is probably the strongest rumor we have insofar as: 1) it was first reported back in December; and 2) the Milwaukee Bucks, who were reportedly interested, are still interested. Patrick Murray broke that down back in December.
- Zach Lowe of ESPN reported on Monday that the Warriors inquired about Avery Bradley but talks went nowhere. This is interesting because it’s a clear indication that the team is not just passively listening to deals as the deadline approaches, but possibly actively pursuing something. I wrote more on what that non-deal meant on Tuesday.
- Back in late-January, Ian Begley of ESPN reported that the Warriors “expressed interest” in New York Knicks center Kyle O’Quinn. Brady Klopfer broke down the likelihood of that happening back in January.
Speculation about desirable moves
It’s not uncommon for reporters to throw out leads they’ve heard about as benign speculation, even if there’s not much momentum behind them. Here are a few that have circulated recently:
- Patrick Murray broke down the pros and cons of trading for Marco Belinelli or Tyreke Evans on Monday, which are two names that Tim Kawakami of The Athletic has thrown out there.
- Danny Leroux of The Athletic dug deep into why the Warriors should consider trading Nick Young at the deadline (back on January 31).
- Hugo Kitano summarized why the Warriors might look to shave salary or add center depth at the deadline.
- Zach Lowe speculated that Brooklyn Nets guard Joe Harris could be a fit for the Warriors in exchange for Patrick McCaw, but ... that sounds like making a trade for the sake of doing so. Still, I liked reading the take from Nets Daily about it.
So what do you think the Warriors will do? Discuss here and we’ll continue to post updates throughout the morning (if anything develops). And if you see it before we see it, feel free to post a FanShot or FanPost that we can promote to the front page.