Golden State Warriors superstar Steph Curry has completely changed the way that basketball has played, by virtue of being not only the greatest shooter in NBA history, but perhaps the most versatile one as well.
And while no player plays quite like him, we can use stats to show us who is most similar, at least in some regards, thanks to a statistically-inclined Twitter user who created Shot Profile Similarity Comparisons, to see what players take similar shots to what other players.
Check it out for Curry.
Here’s the top 10 for Curry:
1. Patty Mills (San Antonio Spurs) - 91.3% similarity
2. Buddy Hield (Sacramento Kings) - 90.7% similarity
3. Bradley Beal (Washington Wizards) - 90.6% similarity
4. Kyle Lowry (Toronto Raptors) - 90.1% similarity
5. Paul George (Oklahoma City Thunder) - 89.2% similarity
6. D.J. Augustin (Orlando Magic) - 88.9% similarity
7. Malik Monk (Charlotte Hornets) - 87.9% similarity
8. Troy Daniels (Phoenix Suns) - 87.9% similarity
9. Jayson Tatum (Boston Celtics) - 87.4% similarity
10. Lance Stephenson (Los Angeles Lakers) - 87.2% similarity
Of course, with the possible exception of George (and maybe Beal), none of these players are in the same offensive stratosphere as Curry, but that’s not the point. It’s cool to see who is taking shots from similar parts of the floor, with similar frequency.
If you’re curious about how Shot Profile Similarity Comparisons are calculated, here you go:
Shot Profile Similarity Comps (Currently):— Nathinto the Spiderverse Walker (@bbstats) February 25, 2019
Shot Quality (eFG%) x 10
ShortMidrange Freq/SMR FG%/SMR % Ast'd
LMR Freq/LMR FG%/LMR %Ast'd
Corner 3 (same)
Abv Break 3 (same)
all via https://t.co/Dc7MZ4aLSL
This is my personal favorite use of stats - not used to tell you that Player A is better than Player B, but just to help inform you about the game, and maybe adjust the way you view it.