In light of events last night - I have a trade idea involving James Wiseman and the Washington Wizards that has nothing to do with Bradley Beal, which is simple and I think it benefits both teams:
James Wiseman for Montrezl Harrell (and a 2nd Rd pick, if we can get it).
Contracts work: Wise is due $9.16M , Trez is due $9.7M (expiring MLE)
Why Washington Does It:
- They are in full rebuild mode (always), so they can roll the dice and have the patience for Wiseman to develop.
- Trez is who he is at this point, but Wiseman still hasn't reached his ceiling
- Trez is on an expiring deal, so they would likely move him elsewhere anyways
- If they didn't trade him, there's no way Trez is staying there and would leave in FA next summer.
- Think of the spin from the Wizards side: They were able to get out from Russell Westbrook and his awful contract, (and John Wall's contract), and land a former 2nd overall pick!
Why the Warriors Do It:
- (Nothing new here) Championship window won't be open forever, and Trez can help them win now
- Trez + Draymond = elite energy, hustle and attitude and elite defensive frontcourt
- Stagger Trez and Draymond and you can maintain the defensive intensity when one sits
- Wiseman is still at least another year away before they know if they will have something
- If it doesn't work out, he's on an expiring deal, so they save ~ $9-10M against the cap next year