Good Morning Dub Nation,
The Golden State Warriors have a primetime matchup against the Memphis Grizzlies tonight. Golden State and Memphis have had some intense battles in recent years, including several in the second-round series of last year’s playoffs where the Warriors beat them 4-2. Despite this, Golden State forward Draymond Green does not believe the Grizzlies matchup is a rivalry just yet.
The strong emotions surrounding each game have caused a lot of trash talk to be said between the two teams. The Grizzlies, led by point guard Ja Morant and forward Dillon Brooks, have not been afraid to speak their mind, especially when it comes to the Warriors. However, it is the Dubs who always get the last laugh in the end.
Klay Thompson just destroyed Jaren Jackson Jr. for his March tweet:— Tomer Azarly (@TomerAzarly) June 17, 2022
“There's this 1 Grizzlies player who tweeted 'Strength in Numbers' after they beat us in the reg. season. It pissed me off so much. I can't wait to retweet that thing. Freakin bum.”pic.twitter.com/6c5mbiS6fG
Draymond Green & Klay Thompson taunting Dillon Brooks— Ballislife.com (@Ballislife) December 26, 2022
Klay: "Just some good ol' fashion trash talk. I didn't think it warranted a technical but I forgot about the taunting rule. It's always fun to talk trash. We've been doing that since middle school." pic.twitter.com/f6DCawbooU
The drama and dislike between these two teams are there to help fuel a rivalry, but as Green says, the Grizzlies have a lot more work to do in order to get on the Warriors multi-championship level.
Here are the rest of today’s stories:
In case you missed it from Golden State of Mind:
- James Wiseman is likely to return for Warriors-Grizzlies
- 2023 All-Star Game Draft to take place immediately before the game
- Will the Lakers’ trade for Rui Hachimura entice the Warriors to make a move?
- Steve Kerr believes the team is currently ‘not good enough’ to close games
- How the Warriors lost the plot against the Nets
Other Warriors News:
- Draymond Green: Warriors-Grizzlies Isn’t Rivalry Due to Memphis’ Lack of Achievement (Bleacher Report)
- Steve Kerr abhors routine of mass shooting, followed by moment of silence (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Nick Friedell to Warriors fans: “Enjoy the moments while you got them” (95.7 The Game)
- Warriors’ Jonathan Kuminga interviews with Shams Charania (Twitter)
- Steph Curry Will Never Forget When Kevin Durant Thought He Was White (Rolling Stone)
- NBA All-Star rosters to be picked on game night (NBA)
- Nets’ Kevin Durant (knee) out at least 2 more weeks (NBA)
- Kings GM Monte McNair agrees to contract extension, team says (ESPN)
- Clippers stave off ‘scary’ LeBron James takeover, marvel at latest feat (ESPN)
- The Very Different Vibes Surrounding Walker Kessler, Rudy Gobert (Real GM)