Good Morning Dub Nation
The Golden State Warriors five-game winning streak came to an end in heartbreaking fashion on Wednesday night as the Detroit Pistons sunk the game-winning buzzer beater to beat them, 122-119. Injuries hampering the depth of the Warriors roster as well as general fatigue from their double overtime game a few days ago were their biggest downfalls last night as the Warriors struggled to keep up with a younger, much more athletic Pistons team. Despite the result, the Warriors were proud of the effort and fight they displayed throughout the game.
Steve Kerr: “I just told the guys how proud I am of them for holding down the fort these last couple of weeks. Today was tough.”— 95.7 The Game (@957thegame) January 5, 2023
Klay Thompson: “Just a hard fought gutsy effort, and I’m really proud of every single man who played.”— 95.7 The Game (@957thegame) January 5, 2023
Golden State has been living on the edge over the past couple of games and almost had the opportunity to steal another one when Klay Thompson hit this game-tying shot on a beautifully drawn up play by head coach Steve Kerr.
Ty Jerome doesn't understand why anyone ever doubted Klay, a player he idolized growing up pic.twitter.com/uyEELsVDFE— Warriors on NBCS (@NBCSWarriors) January 5, 2023
Unfortunately, one second proved to be too long as Detroit’s Saddiq Bey put an end to the Warriors’ winning streak in the Bay.
Notably missing from that last defensive possession was Warriors forward Draymond Green. He was ejected after receiving his second technical foul during a controversial scuffle between him and Pistons forward Isaiah Stewart. After the game, Green told reporters that he was trying his best to defuse the situation but was still given a technical, while Kerr questioned the officials for handing out double technicals in what he felt was just a minor “yelling match”.
Steve Kerr kept it while talking about Draymond’s ejection pic.twitter.com/FZrhBxINRW— 95.7 The Game (@957thegame) January 5, 2023
Fortunately, the Warriors will get a few days off to rest and shake off the loss before Saturday’s game against the Orlando Magic.
Here are the rest of today’s stories:
In case you missed it from Golden State of Mind:
- Steve Kerr draws up ‘Winner’ but the Warriors end up losing to the Pistons
- Player grades: Warriors vs. Pistons
- Another wild Warriors comeback gets thwarted by Pistons buzzer beater
- Podcast: Warriors vs. Pistons
- Warriors hold the best home record and the worst road record in the NBA
Other Warriors News:
- Warriors back Jordan Poole after late-game turnover in tough loss to Pistons (The Athletic)
- Draymond Green, Warriors frustrated with double technical fouls in loss (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Warriors observations: Saddiq Bey cancels Klay Thompson heroics; Pistons win (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Warriors GM Bob Myers paints NBA trade-market picture before deadline (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Bob Myers reveals target date for Steph Curry’s return (95.7 The Game)
- How the NBA has tried — and mostly failed — to stop Luka Dončić (The Athletic)
- What is going on with the scoring in the NBA? (Deadspin)
- Zach LaVine, Bulls snap Nets’ 12-game streak with ‘attention to detail’ (ESPN)
- The NBA vet and rookie who’ve embraced their unusual shooting forms: ‘I’m happy I made the change’ (ESPN)
- NBA stars, teammates spark mental health discussions (Yahoo Sports)