Good Morning Dub Nation,
Today is the big day as teams across the league finalize their plans for the NBA Trade Deadline at 12:00 PM PT. The Golden State Warriors — after suffering another disappointing 125-122 road loss against the Portland Trail Blazers on Wednesday night – find themselves at a record of 28-27 and are currently ninth in the Western Conference standings. The team has hovered around .500 all season long and their inconsistent play on the court has reflected it.
The lackluster performances of this year’s roster (as well as potential savings on the team’s luxury tax bill) have stirred rumors around some of Golden State’s younger players as they debate whether to go all-in on winning another championship with their core or continue with their “two timelines” plan for the future.
Adding to the equation is that plenty of teams have already bolstered their rosters before today’s deadline – specifically in the Western Conference. It all began over this past weekend, as the Dallas Mavericks traded for Brooklyn Nets point guard Kyrie Irving. This proved to be just the beginning as yesterday alone saw even bigger deals made — starting with the huge three-team trade that resulted in the Los Angeles Lakers swapping guard Russell Westbrook for a package which included Minnesota Timberwolves point guard D’Angelo Russell.
Although several smaller deals were made following that trade, the biggest one of them all hit late Wednesday evening as the Phoenix Suns acquired 13-time All-Star Kevin Durant in yet another blockbuster move involving the Nets.
With season-altering moves being made across the league, Dub Nation will have all eyes on the Warriors’ front office to see how they respond to today’s trade deadline.
Here are the rest of today’s stories:
In case you missed it from Golden State of Mind:
- The Warriors’ baffling endgame offense comes back to haunt them against the Blazers
- Warriors get ripped by Blazers, 125-122
- Kevin Durant traded to the Suns
- Player grades: Warriors vs. Blazers
- Lakers trade Juan Toscano-Anderson and Damian Jones for D’Angelo Russell
Other Warriors News:
- Thompson: Jordan Poole is the Warriors’ key to getting by without Stephen Curry (The Athletic)
- Warriors observations: Klay Thompson’s birthday spoiled in loss to Blazers (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Inside Donte DiVincenzo’s unique perspective before NBA trade deadline (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Draymond Green knows what makes ex-Warrior Gary Payton II irreplaceable (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Could Warriors try to trade James Wiseman before the deadline? (95.7 The Game)
- Sources: Suns acquiring Kevin Durant in blockbuster deal with Nets (ESPN)
- Toronto Raptors get center Jakob Poeltl in trade with Spurs (ESPN)
- Lakers finalizing deal to acquire D’Angelo Russell, trade Russell Westbrook to Utah in 3-team deal: Sources (The Athletic)
- Russell Westbrook Rumors: Clippers, Bulls Interested in PG If Cut After Lakers Trade (Bleacher Report)
- Film Study: How Kyrie Irving fits with Dallas (NBA)